A/Prof Paul Vasey is a specialist medical oncologist.
Dr Vasey entered private practice in 2006 and has particular clinical interests in:
- Genitourinary cancer, and
- Ovary, uterine, and cervix cancers
Professor Vasey was born in Newcastle, UK and moved to Australia in 2004 into the position of staff specialist at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, Brisbane.
- MBChB in Scotland in 1988
- He completed general internal medicine training - 1991
- Cancer Research UK clinical research fellow and clinical lecturer in the department of oncology, University of Glasgow, Scotland from 1992-1996
- Clinical and laboratory research, he obtained MSc in clinical pharmacology MSc(Clin. Pharm) - 1994
- MD (1996)
- MRCP (UK)
He is a visiting medical oncologist at the
- Wesley Hospital in Brisbane,
- St Andrews Private Hospital in Toowoomba
- St Andrews Private Hospital in Ipswich.
Professor Vasey has appointments as
- Associate professor University of Queensland
- Honorary associate of the University of Sydney.
- Chairman of the Scottish Gynecologic Cancer Trials Group
Memberships & Associations
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) - 2005
- American Society of Clinical Oncology ASCO
- Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup GCIG
- Australia-New Zealand Gynecologic Oncology Group ANZGO
- Australia-New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group ANZBCTG
- Australian Prostate and Urology Group APUG
- Medical Oncology Group of Australia MOGA
- Australian Association of Consultant Physicians AACP
- Australian Medical Association AMA
- UK national genitourinary and gynecologic cancer trials national steering groups executive board member
Prior Professional Positions
- From 1996-2003 Dr Vasey was the Cancer Research UK senior lecturer in medical oncology and honorary consultant in medical oncology at the prestigious Beatson Oncology Centre in Glasgow, Scotland.
- In 2003 he was promoted to reader at the University of Glasgow.
- From 2001-2004 he was the director of the West of Scotland Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) and in 2002. Under Dr Vasey’s leadership, this unit was awarded Cancer Research UK’s highest award, Alpha*.
- He was the first author of the ESMO guidelines for the treatment of ovarian cancer.
- Dr Vasey has over 200 publications including textbooks, peer-reviewed journals, conference contributions and other outputs.
- His thesis was entitled ‘InVitrostudies of cisplatin-resistant human ovarian carcinoma cells’.